Monday, September 10, 2007

No son, this is not for you

I'm sure my son is going to read this and figure that this post is for him. But, it isn't. I'm still in Illinois visiting my brothers but will be heading home later today. I have been able to see lots of folks that I haven't seen for awhile. While visiting, there seems to be a theme in what we talked about -- disappointment in things not going the way people were hoping for.

It's hard to understand why some things don't go our way. I've never been real religious but I do believe that things happen for a reason. Or at least, in my life I believe they do. It might be hard to see at the time, but later on I have been able to look back at things and realize why I didn't get a certain job, a certain grade, a certain opportunity. It might have been a few days later, a few months later or even a few years later, but the reason has always presented itself. In talking with friends here (as well as my son this week) they have shared some disappointment in something not going their way. Most of the time, when things have not gone my way, it has been for the better. I wasn't always happy about it at the time, but when looking back it definitely was for the better -- I wouldn't have had a chance to meet some people, or to make as much money or to be happy.

I've often written about my husband being very pessimisstic. His response to that is "if I don't get my hopes up about something, then I won't be disappointed if things go bad." I'm not sure that is the right way to look at things, but each to his own I guess.

I think you have to be positive and then live with what happens as bad as it might hurt or not feel right at the time. Everything is not going to go your way every time. You just have to hope that you can handle what is thrown at you. I certainly didn't want to get Alzheimer's -- but it has happened for a reason and I accept that. I don't see many other alternatives at this point so you make the best of it. I've certainly grown as a person and value my time with my friends and family so much more.

I think, too, that we have to learn from all of these opportunities. It certainly won't be the last time we are disappointed by something and hopefully the next time it happens you will be ready for it -- or at least realize that it is not the end of the world. Learn from it and move on. Life is way too short.

No comments: