Sunday, December 19, 2010

Traveling

Some people are made for traveling, others are not. I like to travel and see new things. It's much harder to travel by myself these days especially to new places. But, I think my days of traveling to new places with my husband is over. He's not a traveler. I can no longer be the "responsible" one on the trip -- seeing to everything because my mind doesn't work that way any longer. He has always relied on me to do that -- and he isn't capable of doing it. He might be capable of doing it, he just doesn't want to do it. Plus, as I've mentioned before, he is very negative. With him, the glass is never half full or half empty -- it's always empty. there are always a million reasons why we can't do something, or he is worrying about things that are totally out of his control, which makes a trip more trying for me and way too stressful. Taking a trip is suppose to be fun -- not stressful.

I loved Cancun -- it just wasn't the relaxing trip I was hoping for. And, I couldn't help but think that at some point in probably the not too distant future I won't remember it. So, if you look at it that way, I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run whether it was a good trip or not. But, since I have to live in the now I wish it would have been a more enjoyable trip. I'll have to pick another traveling partner next time.

2 comments:

Carol Noren Johnson said...

You are so good at chronicalling your experience. How wonderful that your husband went with you! He needs to pick up the slack. In my opinion this is his journey also. I have had to do things that my husband used to do, like manage finances and arrange for repairs around the house. It is just part of the commitment of "in sickness and in health" and we love each other very much just as you two. Alzheimer's doesn't change emotional closeness--we all need that.

Kris, what do you do when you are home and not on the go? Can you develop those pasttimes? My husband watches movies. I join him several times week watching his movies.

Hugs,
Carol

Carol Moore said...

Kris, sign me up to go with you to Cancun next time. We would have a blast. And, when I lose 40 pounds, I'd look half-way good in a swimsuit. ;o)