Wednesday, February 18, 2015

More Comments on Still Alice

Many of you have asked me about Still Alice and I have received numerous emails and messages regarding the movie.  I think I want to see it again -- it takes me awhile to catch on to everything you know.

There were several things in the movie that I think only those with the disease would understand.  For instance, when Alice is out running she gets confused as to where she is -- the movie shows her looking around and everything is a blur to her.  Now I am sure many of you can relate to what this is trying to say, but I think it is also a commentary on what is happening in our brain -- it is out focus as well.  There really isn't anyway to fight it -- you just have to hope that it passes quickly.  Then when Alice returned home her husband asked her about going out that night and she looked afraid and said she wanted to stay at home.  I feel safe at home.  When I am having a bad day I can't get home fast enough.  Home is familiar, home is where you feel comfortable, home is where no one can see you, home is peace.  I remember many times being on the treadmill in the gym and I have this sudden panic attack when I am not sure what is happening and I have had to immediately come home to feel "normal". 

I don't go out much at night.  Things look different at night and I get too confused. I used to be the one in the family that wanted to go out and do everything.  Now I am content staying at home in comfort and contentment.

I urge everyone to see the movie -- I am sure that I will have more to say as the days go on.  I do hope that Julianne Moore wins the Oscar this weekend. So well deserved.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

stillhowlyn said...

Thank you, as I was just diagnosed with dementia, your blog is truly a gift. Lynda

Gail said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. I have seen the movie and read her book. Cried and was scared too. I work in a long term care setting and see the loss and trying to find an earth that is not shaking under you so often. I read a lot of your blogs and wonder if you have overcome the vertigo? There is something called Benign Positional Vertigo. There are exercises for this and they are very helpful. At first I thought I was going to fall doing them. Have your husband sit with you.
Again, I am so happy to have found your blog and am so hopeful for many reasons each day for a cure. Thanks, Gail